04 October 2009

Snails (and a deer skull) from a field trip

Taking advantage of the sunny and warm weather, I spent several hours in the field this afternoon.

Among the several snail species I encountered was this Anguispira with a prominent keel around the periphery of its body whorl. This is the typical morph of the species along the Potomac and Monocacy Rivers in Maryland. I have been calling them Anguispira alternata, although I am not sure if they are not a different species.

AnguispiraAlternata3

Note the reddish foot of the snail, which is typical of Anguispira alternata.

Here is a deer skull I saw.

DeerSkull3

One of the most common land snail species around here is Ventridens ligera. They can be found not only in in forests but also in open fields and even along railroads. All of these shells came from one location in the woods. if I had searched longer, I probably would have found more.

VentridensLigera

Finally, Cepaea nemoralis again! Note that each of these live snails, found next to each other, represented a different variety: the one in the middle was bandless, the one on the left had a single band and the one on the right had 5 bands.

CepaeaNemoralis7

No comments: