02 November 2009

The view from inside the nostril

I don't claim to be an artist. But then again, what is art and what does one need to create to become an artist? I do have a few creations of my own. For what it's worth, here is one of the oldest surviving ones.

ViewFromNostril
Blue ballpoint pen on cheap paper. 7x10 cm. Now slightly faded.

The detailed title explains what it is depicting: The outside scenic view as seen from inside the nose—thru the nostril—of a man. Those 2 scimitar-shaped things are nose hairs, while the irregular entity on the right is mucus. I used to wear my watch on my right wrist. Note that the right hand visible outside the nose is also wearing a watch. So, this is presumably a self-portrait of sorts.

It is dated 15 December 1976, midnight. Arguably, a piece of "art" like this can only be created late at night, preferably after midnight when the time is usually ripe for finding out what it is all about.

If Salvador Dalí had doodled this, it would be worth a hefty sum now. But, sigh, I am no Dalí...

9 comments:

pascal said...

Given the view out the nostril, you appear to be pointing towards the horizon while staring straight up into the sky.

Although in 1976, I wasn't old enough to know what a pen was...

Cindy said...

I say if you enjoyed creating this drawing, and you enjoy looking at it, then it's art!

And Salvador Dali probably wouldn't have had as much fun as you do hunting for snails and studying them, so you're even.

AYDIN ÖRSTAN said...

Pascal: Hey, it's my art! I can create it any way I want.

Cindy: But what good is it if nobody else likes it?

Cindy said...

What good is it if nobody likes it? If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there to hear, does it still make a noise?? (I don't know how relevant that is, but that's what your question made me think of!)

And anyway, how can you be sure nobody likes it? Don't you like it? I like it, for its clever and unusual vantage point. A booger's eye view, if you will. And the humor that goes along with that makes it fun to look at.

True, there have been better drawn hands, landscapes, and probably nasal cavities too, but that doesn't really matter. This was an inspiration that came into your mind that you were able to bring to life in visual form. It ain't serious art, but it's art.

AYDIN ÖRSTAN said...

Thank you, Cindy.

Do you wanna buy it? :)

Cindy said...

Hahahahaha... uh, no. :P

Coyote said...

There is a niche market for art in that style. You could try opening an Etsy shop (etsy.com) and see how well you do selling your drawings there.

AYDIN ÖRSTAN said...

There is only one drawing & I have no intention of drawing more in the foreseeable near future.

Anonymous said...

I really like the view - it certainly has a lot more imagination than an odd bowl of fruit on a table.
(I wouldn't buy either, though)