19 January 2010

Pedipes ovalis

Since last April I have been studying Pedipes ovalis, a little semi-terrestrial snail from Florida. They only grow to be ~3 mm long. When I first collected these snails, their affiliation confused me, but once I spotted the pneumostome (the opening of the lung) of one individual under the microscope and noticed, at the same time, that it didn't have an operculum, I knew they were ellobiids. A quick search thru Martins (1996) narrowed the genus down to Pedipes and the subsequent examination of the protconch helped me identify the species as ovalis.

An interesting characteristic of the genus is their foot, which is divided by a transverse groove into an anterior propodium and a posterior metapodium.

PedipesOvalis1

Since last summer I have also been writing 2 manuscripts about these snails. Expect more related posts in the future.


Martins, A.M.F., 1996. Anatomy and systematics of western Atlantic Ellobiida (Gastropoda: Pulmonata). Malacologia 37:163-332.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another excellent shot of a very tiny snail, well done Aydin. It's exciting for me to see a live one under magnification. I once saw a whole sandwich bag of live ones of Pedipes unisulcatus (pretty large, 7 mm) in Southern California back in 1970. That's when I met the malacologist Dwight Willard Taylor. He was digging out a pebble ridge transect on my local beach in order to map where exactly they lived.

In the Caribbean so far I have only seen empty shells. The shells I find are even more tiny, about 2 mm adult size. I am assuming that they are Pedipes ovalis though.

Susan J. Hewitt

AYDIN ÖRSTAN said...

The ones from the Caribbean could be either ovalis or mirabilis. That's according to Martins, 1996.

DPC said...

Very interesting foot. Does it have any looping function like in the truncatellids?

AYDIN ÖRSTAN said...

Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't. More on that later. ;)

Ari said...

I am studying a species of marine snails found on Central American beaches (Pacific side)known as Olivella semistriata. They also have this anatomy (with the foot being divided into a propodium and metapodium).