17 January 2010

Urinal entomology

UrinalEntomology1

Last Friday, there were 2 of these dead bugs in one of the urinals in the men's room at Fletcher's Cove along the C&O Canal. After I finished my business, I flushed, but the bugs remained. So I took out my camera and photographed them.

They appear to be some sort of stink bug (Pentatomidae).

UrinalEntomokogy2

Luckily, no one came in while I was stooping over the urinal with the camera against my face pointing inside. It would have been difficult to explain my motives.

2 comments:

Ceuthophilus said...

your family ID is correct, it is probably Euschistus sp., or at least in the Carpocorini.

see:
http://bugguide.net/node/view/247814/tree

Julia said...

Aydin, we've got a bit of blog synchronicity today! (Although I was just posting about something that I thought was a stink bug and ended up not being.)

I think you're right that being caught as the urinal photographer might have been awkward... but memorable.