25 February 2010

Just when you thought you didn't have any snails on you

Here is a lesson on snail dispersal:

One day lately I saw a friend of mine looking into a shop window in King-street. "What on earth have you got on your collar?" said I. He put up his hand, felt round his collar, and pulled off a big snail." "Well, I never," said he, "it was only half an hour ago when I was walking up Hunter-street that a friend stopped me and said, 'What is that you have on your waistcoat?' Lo and behold, there was a huge snail! The fact is" he continued, "I went down to see the water-lilies in the Gardens, and I remained there standing on the grass for a considerable time. These rascals must have crawled up my clothes when I was standing there." This is an excellent illustration of the manner in which snails are easily carried about from place to place...
W.S. Campbell. 1898. The Agricultural Gazette of New South Wales, 8:115.

3 comments:

fred said...

I'm sure the reason individual plants of Garlic Mustard keep cropping up (so to speak) in Bishops Mills is because we go places to study the species invasiveness, and take specimens... So far we've eaten all that have arisen before they could set seed.

AYDIN ÖRSTAN said...

I had no idea garlic mustard was edible.

Michael said...

Garlic mustard pesto is delicious, and if you're too late and the plant has gone to seed, collect them and make sprouts.