25 April 2010

A good day as far as slugs are concerned

Last night's rain and this morning's warm and cloudy weather had brought the local Megapallifera mutabilis out. Within about an hour around noon today I found and weighed 10 of them. That's 10 more data points for our ongoing project to deduce the population cycle of this species by monitoring their sizes during a year.

Today's surprise find was this big daddy-o. It wasn't even fully stretched when I took this photo.


It weighed 5.75 grams; definitely one of the heaviest Megapallifera mutabilis I have so far weighed.


There may be updates.

3 comments:

Megan said...

Wow, big! I bet it'll lay a lot of eggs.

Snail said...

Whoa! That's a hefty slug. The pickings are more meagre here.

Vasha said...

Aydin, I want to thank you because your blog taught me to notice something I'd been overlooking before: yesterday, I was out in the woods, and on the algae-covered bark of a beech tree there were wavering paler lines -- I said, "Aha, those are slug feeding traces!" One more sentence read in the book of life...