08 April 2010

The pumpkin that is coming back

It turned out that the pumpkin that was refusing to go away was actually in the process of resurrecting itself. When I got curious this afternoon and lifted up the top of it, this is what I saw.


The seeds were all there. The close-up shows several of them sprouting.


So the about-to-turn-into-soil looks of the ex-pumpkin was only a front to hide the photosynthetic machinery that was being assembled underneath.

Photosynthesis cannot take place without sunlight. So I removed the top of the pumpkin and left the sprouts exposed. We will see how successful they will be in their mission to take over the backyard.

Updates may be posted.

4 comments:

garlic=love said...

My folks threw one in their compost pile one fall. The next year they had some of their nicest pumpkins ever...

Cindy said...

Yay! That's what I thought would happen. But now that you've removed that protective layer of rotten skin, do you think maybe you should throw a little loose soil on top, and let the sprouts grow up through it?

AYDIN ÖRSTAN said...

The roots may have already reached the soil, but I suppose a little bit more on top won't do any harm. I wasn't planning to grow pumpkins, though.

JK said...

Hi Aydin Orstan, Pumpkin seeds seems to always germinate on composts. Mine was buried with heaps of organic matter under 50 cm of sand layer and weeks later, 5 individual plants sprouted to the surface! Really hardy plants, I reckon!