03 May 2010

Anguispira fergusoni on a tree

Anguispira fergusoni is a native eastern North American land snail. On warm and humid days, especially at night, they climb trees probably in search of fungal food. During my 12+ years of wanderings in the park near my house, I've seen them crawling on trees many times, but I had never seen one dormant on a tree until yesterday.


This one, ~12 mm in shell diameter, was on a beech ~65 cm above the ground. The shell was attached to the tree weakly with some dried mucus along the rim of the aperture. After I picked up the shell and looked inside, I saw the snail's foot immediately within the aperture.

There is often something new to be witnessed out there.

4 comments:

DPC said...

Nice snail, the resemblance to Discus is striking.

AYDIN ÖRSTAN said...

Same family.

Fred Schueler said...

"Dormant on a tree" isn't a very Anguispira kind of thing to do -- they tend to go home and sleep it off under cover.

Bonnie said...

Perhaps, he was having a lazy day?...or maybe he was just waiting for a photo-op :D Great photo! I cannot wait until I get a working camera(that can focus on even small arachnids & various creatures) & start taking photos of all the lil critters I find crawling about.