12 May 2010

Holding up an Odontotaenius disjunctus


I found this relatively large beetle inside a large rotten log while searching for snails in Great Falls Park last weekend. It appears to be an Odontotaenius disjunctus. Rotting logs are indeed their normal abodes.

They have a small horn on top of their heads that is difficult to notice. In fact, I didn't see it in the field. Only after I read that one of their vernacular names was horned passalus did I examine the pictures carefully and then noticed the horn. It is marked with an arrow in the next picture that shows the beetle crawling at the tips of my fingers.


3 comments:

Julia said...

Ooh, I love that shaggy orange fluff on the legs.

Tom said...

Very cool- In all my adventures, I have found this species once- on a rotten log in a forest on North Bass Island, in the middle of Lake Erie. If I'm remembering correctly, I think these guys are also colonial groups live together in rotten logs.

Kevin Bonham said...

I kept two specimens of our local passalid species as pets for over a year before one of them died (presumably of old age). I then released the other (with its very large pet mite!) as they are social insects and I did not want to keep it alone. The ones I kept (Pharochilus politus) looked much like these but minus the horns and the fluff. Passalids are wonderful creatures that communicate by sound and I often listened to them doing so.