20 July 2010

Come to think of it, I'll have a Bomonti

Several years ago I wrote a review of a beer I had never drunk and would never have a chance to drink. That was a beer that had been brewed in Istanbul at the turn of the 20th century by the Bomonti Brothers and that had since gone extinct.

So imagine my surprise at a restaurant in Istanbul last June when the waiter told me they had "Bomonti Beer". In disbelief I said "Bomonti?" He said "yes, Bomonti". So I ordered a bottle of Bomonti.


Of course, it wasn't the original Bomonti beer. An inspection of the label on the bottle revealed that this Bomonti was a product of the company that brews Efes, a popular Turkish beer. Like Efes, Bomonti was also a rather mild beer with a rather weak flavor. I suspect it was indeed Efes in a different bottle.

Who knows how the original Bomonti beer was brewed. But read my review of it. It'll give you an idea of what it may have tasted like.

No comments: