14 July 2010

Priene

Priene was the only other ancient town I visited last month in Turkey. It is located about 30 km to the southwest of Magnesia on the Meander. However, unlike the latter, which lies on the floodplain of the River Meander, Priene is on much higher ground overlooking the delta of the river.

The surviving ruins of Priene are also more extensive and include a modest theater.


According to George Bean (Aegean Turkey, 1966), Priene had originally been located elsewhere, but was subsequently moved to its current location. Bean noted that the original location of Priene was unknown, but suspected that it had probably been buried by the alluvium brought by the Meander. I don’t know if it has since been located.


Once again, my main motivation for visiting the site was to collect land snails. The most common macro snail at Priene was Rumina saharica; empty shells were abundant every where and dormant individuals were common under the rocks. Another species I observed at the site was Lindholmiola lens.

1 comment:

Cindy said...

I have never been to ancient ruins before. The closest I've come is 100 year old ghost towns in the California desert. I think I'd be so fascinated by the history, and the idea that I'm literally walking around in it, that I don't know if I'd even want to hunt for bugs there...

Aw hell, knowing me, I probably would!

But how cool that you had these ruins all to yourself!