04 August 2010

Snoring snails?

This is from the October 1906 issue of the Nautilus.

Karl Soffel, of Paris, the well-known naturalist, has discovered that snails snore. He was experimenting with several specimens, which he had placed in a glass jar in his library, and one evening while writing he noticed a peculiar noise issuing therefrom. It sounded like a person snoring in the next room. M. Soffel approached and found that the snails were sleeping soundly and snoring peacefully, the loudest snorer of them all being the one that had lived among grape vines.
The Nautilus apparently took the story verbatim from a magazine called New York American. I haven't been able to locate the original source of the news.

No, snails don't snore.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Paris France 12 August 2010


My God I am so old I do not understand how to send you a mail so I am posting a comment. I also received the " leading professionnal of the World award 2010" oh la la, dear Collegue
It was such a fun to see your own comments.
I love it as much as I loved yours blogs
Véronique a lawyer from Paris