23 September 2010

Green-backed heron by the lake


These small herons are occasionally seen along the margins of lakes around here in Maryland. They are usually quite shy and fly away as soon as they spot someone approaching. This particular bird, however, which I photographed last August, was an exception. It allowed me to come quite close to it.

While I was photographing it I thought I saw it regurgitate something. It then re-swallowed the thing, which may have been a frog. Is this something they normally do?


If I am not mistaken it's a green-backed heron (Butorides striatus).

2 comments:

John said...

I haven't seen them do that. It's possible that it didn't go down right the first time it swallowed it.

forestwalk/laura k said...

maybe she was practicing being a mother...in preparation for feeding her young??!

nice shot!!