08 November 2010

3 leaves 3 trees


These are the leaves I picked up during today's after lunch walk. Their outlines may be superficially similar, but each is a different species. Nevertheless, the 1st 2 are closely related; both are maple leaves. The 1st one may be sugar maple (Acer saccharum), while the 2nd one is silver maple (Acer saccharinum). The last leaf is sweetgum (Liquidambar styraciflua). Its fruit, visible below the leaf, is covered with soft spines with openings between them.

There are about 6 Acer species in this area. Here are 4 maple leaves.


The 1st and 3rd are, once again, probably sugar maple and the 2nd one is silver maple. But I am not sure about the identity of the 4th one. Is it black maple (Acer nigrum)?

3 comments:

Thomas of Baltimore City said...

In my experience Sugar Maples are rarely yellow in Fall. My guess for the yellow one would be Acer platanoides [AKA Norway Maple]. But, I am no expert so I may be incorrect.

Thomas of Baltimore City said...

OK, I am second guessing my choice for the yellow one. However, look into Norway Maple as one of them may be Acer platanoides.

AYDIN ÖRSTAN said...

Yes, those leaves may be of Norway maple. I wasn't paying attention to introduced maples.