28 May 2011

Cat in the box

My cat Marissa's trip to the vet is an ordeal both she and I have to endure once a year. The problem is that she refuses to go into the carrier voluntarily. If I attempt to force her in, she screams, hisses, scratches and even bites and I eventually give up. So last fall, I resorted to adopting a large cardboard box to transport her to the vet. I cut open a hole on one side large enough to shove Marissa in. The box itself is tall enough to prevent her from jumping back out before I shut the lid down and tape it up with duct tape.


I left the vet's office today with preventive medication for ticks and fleas as well as an instruction sheet on how to put a cat in a carrier. It looked so easy when they put her in the carrier I had brought with me. Then again, they do it many times a day. We will see how successful I will be the next time.

Meanwhile, here is Marissa Cat getting examined.

11 comments:

NanU said...

What works with my cats is to leave the carrier out, open, for a couple of days before the appointment. Boxes and such are cat-magnets. They cannot resist. Once they're going in & out without being trapped, it becomes easy to trap them.

Kate said...

I also leave the carrier out and open. Kali travels enough that she won't go in on her own, but at least she has a few days heads up that she's traveling and tends to be less resistant.

Fred Schueler said...

That's how Bernd Heinrich caught his Ravens - left a cage full of food out, and then slammed the door shut when they'd gotten used to going inside to feed.

Studio at the Farm said...

I couldn't get Pumpkin into the carrier. I resorted to wrapping her in a towel. Thankfully she was great in the car, and at the vet's. Leaving the carrier out for a few days sounds like a good idea.

Deniz Bevan said...

Oh! Maybe we should try that. Ours don't like their carriers much either...

Julia said...

WOW, I have seen Marissa in your posts before, but never in a photo where there was a clear sense of scale. She is enormous (and beautiful, although I already knew that)! I like the idea of you carrying her to the vet in a cardboard box. :)

AYDIN ÖRSTAN said...

She weighed 15 pounds yesterday and is on a diet now.

Coyote said...

Some people have good results using Feliway, Quiet Moments, or other feline pheromone-based calming spray inside the carrier prior to placing the cat inside. But every cat is different, and it's well to have several Plan B's up one's sleeve.

Anonymous said...

Hi Aydin. I have a "more carrot, less stick" trick that works very well with my neighbor's cat, who hates to go to the vet. My neighbor left the carrier out with the door open, which does help a little bit, but when the time came, I put a small paper plate with a piece of the cats' absolute favorite treat (freeze-dried chicken) in the back of the carrier. The cat was reluctant to go in, but could not resist the treat, and then when he went in to eat the treat, I just zipped up the door. My neighbor was amazed... no fuss, no muss!

Susan J. Hewitt

Kat said...

You have a tortie cat. That means that a) you are very lucky, b) you'll never get it your way :p She's gorgeous!

Manic Minx said...

he's such a cutie! XD