03 May 2011

Cepaea nemoralis in Frederick County, Maryland

Starting in the summer of 2009 and continuing into the following winter, I wrote several posts about our surveys of the introduced European snail Cepaea nemoralis in Maryland (see, for example, this post and this post). While our survey was underway and later during the preparation of the manuscript, I was secretive about the exact location of the snails. The paper, co-authored with Tim Pearce and Jim Sparks came out recently in the March issue of American Malacological Bulletin. You may download a pdf version of it from here.

And so the location of our Cepaea nemoralis is no longer a secret: there is a nice map in the paper. Also, as we mention in the paper, a list of our collection stations with GPS coordinates is available upon request.

CepaeaNemoralis5

9 comments:

Chuck Baudelaire said...

Such excellent photos and informative posts! Congrats on being a Blog of Note!

commoncents said...

INTERESTING POST! I'm glad I found your blog!!

Steve
Common Cents
http://www.commoncts.blogspot.com

John said...

cool ! nice photo!

Fred Schueler said...

I'm going to grump that what you'd list is geographic co-ordinates which you obtained from the GPS. And I recall that you say in the paper that you adjusted some of them from online maps, so they're contaminated by non-GPS sourcing, in any event. The co-ordinates are the same two or three numbers whether they're obtained from a sextant, chart, gazetteer, topo map, GPS, or google streetview. I know you know what you're doing, but for some folks "GPS co-ordinates" take on a mystic character which dissociates them from the actual numbers, as if they were somehow different from the lat/long or UTM of previous times, or as if precise georeferencing was a new idea with the GPS.

AYDIN ÖRSTAN said...

No mysticism, but only pragmatism here, Fred. Our coordinates will get you very close to, if not at the exact spots of, our stations.

John said...

Interesting paper. Congrats on getting it published!

deep said...

This is so awesome!

Sagel Friendsmith said...

When my sister and I were kids, we were playing in my uncle's backyard, and there were snails everywhere. We wanted to play 'kitchen,' so my uncle gave us a saucepan from his house, and unbeknownst to him, we filled it with snails and they crawled all around, leaving slimy trails everywhere! He wasn't pleased. Snails are great though. -Sagel Friendsmith

Miss Adventure said...

I love your blog. Being from England and having spent a fair time in the States as an outdoor educator/biologist, You bring back great memories for me. I'll 'tune in' often to see what you've seen .... and remember. I have a less brilliant site, dedicated to the flora and fauna I see around me, here in the UK. Oh Yeh, the reason I commented; over here those snails are called HUMBUG SNAILS - humbugs are a striped candy. See ya :)