21 May 2011

Here is a beaver

Beavers abound in the lake near my house. I know that from the plenty of evidence they leave behind, which have been the subjects of several post (for example, here, here and here). But I had not actually seen a beaver in daylight-I did see the silhouette of one in the dusk once-until last weekend.

While taking a walk along the lake last Saturday, I spotted one Castor canadensis swimming in broad daylight. And luckily I had a telephoto lens on my camera. Here is the best shot of it.


Notice its long, flat tail.

4 comments:

Fred Schueler said...

It's interesting that your Beavers are so shy - I wonder what produces that. Around here in eastern Ontario we frequently see then cruising around in daylight, but in northern Ontario they often swim right up to an observer as if curious to see what he is. You'd think human observers would be more dangerous to Beavers in northern Ontario, but maybe southerners tend to throw stones, rather than using a firearm to acquire a pelt & lunch, so that the victim doesn't have the opportunity to learn to be shy.

Holly said...

I don't know if you've done this before, but I was wondering if you'd do a post about natural photography, and how you come by such amazing shots.I imagine it takes a lot of patience and some serendipity. Photographing insects can't be easy.

Zombie said...

There is like no wilderness near my house and the only animals we have are squirrels. lol.

R2K said...

: )