06 June 2011

Where on earth is Vulgaria?

One of my all-time favorite TV shows is The Man From U.N.C.L.E. from the mid-1960s. As I noted before, the producers of the show occasionally attempted to be politically correct, long before political correctness existed, by using silly fake names for various things. Another example of this was in the episode The Cherry Blossom Affair, in which the U.N.C.L.E.'s archenemy T.H.R.U.S.H. develops a device that induces earthquakes. To test the device the chief of the T.H.R.U.S.H. office in Tokyo selects a mountain named Kilo in a country named Vulgaria.


T.H.R.U.S.H. chief Harada, played by Jerry H. Fujikawa, announcing the target of the earthquake machine.

If Vulgaria was made up to avoid offending any real country, that was a needless precaution, for the U.N.C.L.E. agents Napoleon Solo and Illya Kuryakin interfered at the last moment, as is always the case, and destroyed Harada's machine. The use of the name of any real country, Bulgaria, Australia, you name it, would have been perfectly alright, I think.

3 comments:

thepowmill said...

Ha ha ha ! I couldn't resist this title . I recognized it right away from my teen years. Thanks for the laugh .

I don't know if the world has progressed far enough to be able to real names as aliases are still regularly used . It's a personal thing ...and many have a thin skin of tolerance .

Fred Schueler said...

Surely Vulgaria was the unruly states of North America

Adorably Dead said...

I was totally thinking Bulgaria, but only going by rhyming schemes, never heard of the tv show.