10 July 2011

American Malacological Society meeting coming up


The annual meeting of the American Malacological Society will be held in Pittsburgh, PA from Saturday, July 23rd thru Thursday, July 28th, 2011. More information is available here.

The abstracts and the program are available as a pdf file here.

I will be giving not 1, but 2 presentations. The abstracts of my talks are on pages 60 and 61 of the pdf file. I have never given 2 presentations at a meeting before. I have spent the last 3 weeks working on my talks and I am not finished yet.

Both of my talks are based on topics I have written about on this blog on several occasions. One of my talks is about the semi-terrestrial snail Assiminea succinea. I will present an overview of everything I have so far learned about that little snail.

My 2nd talk is in the History of Malacology Symposium. It will bring together my ideas concerning 3 different subjects: the snail research of Richard Thomas Lowe (1802-1874), mosaic evolution and Hasok Chang's proposal of the practicing of the history of science as a "complementary science" to contribute to the advancement of present day science. Hopefully, my attempted synthesis will make sense.

1 comment:

Miss Adventure said...

Hi Aydin, you don't have to post this comment, but I think you'll enjoy a little light relief as well as a biological wow moment. I saw the MOST TADPOLES EVER recently and filmed them. Take a look here http://bloginell.blogspot.com/2011/07/frog-pawn-friday-1711.html I enjoy your blog immensely and offer this by way of a small thank you. Good luck with your presentations, though, you clearly don't need luck.