02 June 2012

Notes of a Cepaea watcher: a whole lotta eggs

One of the 2 Cepaea nemoralis I have been keeping since last winter dug a deep hole in the soil and deposited eggs in it a few days ago. Today I removed all of the eggs. There were so many that I couldn't get an accurate count; I estimate the total to be more than 70.

 
Here is the snail with an egg stuck to its foot.

About 15 of them got damaged during the recovery process. I don't quite know what to do with the rest. I am incubating them in a dish at the moment. I don't want to release them outdoors. I may end up using them in some experiments.

 

6 comments:

Fred Schueler said...

Keep them as pets and see how fast they grow, and at what size they mature

AYDIN ÖRSTAN said...

They don't remain active in an unchanging environment. I also never figured out what they like to eat most.

Anna said...

Hi there, I've just discovered your blog which I like very much. I actually posted about a snail that I'd recently found in my blog yesterday:
http://amazingness.com/blog/2012/06/17/sticky-feet/
I do hope I've got my snail information correct! I'm no expert, but I do research thoroughly.

Anna said...

Hi there, I've just discovered your blog which I really like. It's really varied and interesting. I found it because I've been researching snails for my most recent blog post about a snail that I recently discovered:
http://amazingness.com/blog/2012/06/17/sticky-feet/
I hope I've got my snail information correct! I'm no expert, but I do research thoroughly.

Petra said...

There is a lot of snail hobbyists who keep cepaeas as pets, breeding them too. If you'd like to hear from them have a look at the PetSnails forum at http://petsnails.proboards.com/index.cgi
We're all snail enthusiasts there, some professional malacologists/conchologists and some amateurs; some having just gotten into gastropods by adopting a snail rescued from almost certain death, some having successfully reared generations and generations of various exotic snails and slugs at their home snaileries.

I believe you might find some new and helpful ideas for your cepaeas there because of the differing point of view. We discuss snails and slugs as pets first, no different from any other "family members" that aren't of the human species, and other approaches to gastropods follow as second. So there'll be someone who knows what foods cepaeas love to munch on!

Bruce Berman said...

So what's up with the snail eggs?